At Chatsworth Products, we're always striving for product solutions that expertly join quality craftsmanship with the highest energy efficiency possible. As a champion of the U.S. Green Building Council and its Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System™, we're also committed to innovative design and cost-saving technological advancements within the IT infrastructure industry.
As equipment densities continue to increase, proper thermal management has become a vital step towards energy efficiency in maintaining critical enterprise uptime. Perhaps the most prominent and well-respected energy efficient product solution for CPI to date is CPI Passive Cooling® Solutions - the most cost-effective and cooling-effective thermal management solution on the market. It provides superior equipment cooling performance while reducing your data center cooling energy costs.
By offering innovative airflow management techniques, CPI Passive Cooling Solutions allow you to maximize your cooling efficiencies without the need for additional CRAC units, in-row air conditioners or liquid cooling solutions. From small applications with heat loads of 2 kW per cabinet to large data center applications with heat densities beyond 30 kW, CPI Passive Cooling Solutions provide advanced thermal management with zero points of failure, thus delivering a Tier IV solution.
CPI Passive Cooling benefits:
- Lowers construction costs relative to active cooling solutions
- Reduces data center cooling costs up to 90%
- Saves up to 40% on total data center energy costs
- Allows for higher Delta T's between the data center cooling air and exhaust air
- Allows for Tier IV operation because there are no moving parts that require redundant systems
- Permits chilled water temperatures to be increased, providing means for more hours of economization under high IT loads
CPI Passive Cooling Applications:
- Mitigating problem cooling areas/hot spots
- Upgrading equipment to higher heat/power densities while using the same space
- Converting an existing space/room/building into a new data center (Greenfield)
Isolation Solutions at Every Level
As the innovators of passive cooling as a data center cooling concept, we proved early on that it could be a cost effective and efficient thermal solution at every level of infrastructure deployment. The key principle in effectively maximizing your cooling efficiencies to cool high-density data centers is to achieve isolation between the chilled supply air and the heated return air. By segregating hot air and cold air you achieve higher operating efficiencies, lower energy costs and an environment with minimal complexity. CPI offers three levels of solutions:
- Cabling Level - while it's a vital part of the data center, cabling can leave openings in the floor and cabinet, allowing hot and cold air to mix. Sealing the cabling openings that enter and exit the data center space and cabinets is an excellent first step towards true isolation.
- Cabinet Level - by using the cabinet to create a one-way path for airflow, the ability for hot exhaust and cold supply air to mix is eliminated. Isolation at the cabinet level allows you to increase cabinet density and use existing standard cooling equipment for both Brownfield and Greenfield situations. Other advantages are a thermal seal quality of 95 percent and above and a greater thermal ride-through mass since hot air is exhausted and isolated in the plenum.
- Aisle Level - cold aisle and hot aisle containment allows for isolation by creating enclosed rows. This type of containment increases efficiency, allowing you to utilize 90 percent of the airflow in the containment space with greater cold air volume. The flexibility of aisle level containment allows use in both access floor and slab floor environments and the overall ease of installation will work for a simplified retrofit or new installation. CPI's hot aisle containment solutions utilize room-level cooling systems, so compared to in-row or liquid rack technologies, you would need six to eight times the CRAHs to cool the same equipment, which makes aisle level containment an excellent investment.
CPI also participates on standards committees and recommends accepted industry best practices of The Green Grid, AFCOM, ASHRAE, TIA and more to fulfill its committment to true energy efficiency.