Today is the day our blue planet becomes a little greener.
Every year, on April 22, more than 1 billion people across the globe plant trees, clean rivers, or use less water in an effort to turn the environment more sustainable, ecologically aware and mindfully “Green,” according to Earth Day Network.
Here at Chatsworth Products (CPI) we work 365 days a year with these thoughts in mind (we introduced the idea of “free” cooling in the data center with CPI Passive Cooling® Solutions).
So to celebrate Earth today, we’re sharing a few cool, even scary, little-known facts about this awesome planet of ours.
- According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, U.S. energy use over the past few years has been declining and increased energy efficiency may be a key factor.
- It’s true: cows release enough methane, contributing to climate change. The short explanation is that ruminants have a specialized, more prolongued digestive process called “enteric fermentation” in which methane gas is released. (Find the detailed explanation here.)
- NASA scientists just found a planet that’s quite similar to ours. It is 500 light-years away, and has the same size and temperature as our planet, both key to life on Earth.
- More than 80% of Earth’s surface is volcanic. About 20 to 30 volcanoes erupt each year, mostly under the sea.
- Earth’s Amazon rain forest, in South America, is home to one third of the planet’s land species. But the oceans house 99 percent of the living space on the planet.
- About 11 percent of the Earth's surface is used to grow food.
- Antarctica is the highest, driest, and coldest continent on Earth.
- The temperature of Earth near the center, is believed to be at least 7,000 degrees Fahrenheit (3,870 Celsius).
- Scientists have the dated the Earth as being between 4 and 5 billion years old.
- Finally, celebrate Earth Day by tagging your selfie with #GlobalSelfie. As NASA satellites capture an image of Earth every second, this is your chance to get outside and show the world a beautiful part of the planet that surrounds you. Here's a CPI #GlobalSelfie with our team in Texas and North Carolina.