STUDY: Risk of Magnitude 8 Earthquake in California Climbs
March 12, 2015
The likelihood that California will experience a magnitude 8 or larger earthquake in the next 30 years has increased from about 4.7% in 2008 to about 7.0% according to a recently published California earthquake forecast by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and partners.
The Third Uniform California Earthquake Rupture Forecast, or UCERF3, confirms many previous findings and sheds new light on how the future earthquakes will likely be distributed across the state and estimates how big those earthquakes might be.
“We know that tectonic forces are continually tightening the springs of the San Andreas fault system, making big quakes inevitable,” said Tom Jordan, Director of the Southern California Earthquake Center and a co-author of the study. “The UCERF3 model provides our leaders and the public with improved information about what to expect, so that we can better prepare.”
Chatsworth Products (CPI) can help you ensure your equipment is secured and protected during a high seismic stress.
A variety of products and services are available, including:
The Z4-Series SeismicFrame® Cabinet
- The Z4-Series delivers a market-leading load rating of 1500 lbs, an increased range of cabinet sizes to support deeper equipment and more unobstructed interior space along the sides for thermal and cable management accessories.
- It is also OSHPD Pre-Approved and tested by a Telecommunications Carrier Group and ISO 17025 certified Independent Testing Laboratory (ITL) to meet the latest Telcordia Technologies GR-63-CORE requirements.
- A variety of seismic accessories are available to complement your solution, including floor anchorage, transport casters, cable managers, etc.
Seismic Frame® Two-Post Rack
- The welded, steel Seismic Frame Two-Post Rack resists the swaying motion caused by earthquakes to reduce the amount of vibration transferred through the rack to equipment, making it is less likely to be damaged during a seismic event, which means faster network recovery.
- 1000 lbs Seismic NEBS Zone 4 Load Rating
- A variety of CPI seismic accessories are available to complement your solution
CPI leads the industry in providing complimentary design tools and services to help you plan your data center project successfully. Choose among:
- CPI's Product Configurator allows you to configure a personalized Seismic Cabinet, including accessories, or a Seismic Rack according to your specific needs.
- CAD Blocks, BIM Models and Visio Shapes are also available to reduce planning time.
- MasterFormat Specifications will further simply your project.
For more details on CPI's Seismic Solutions, go here. To get access to our industry-leading support and downloads, go here.