The Easy Guide to Quickly Selecting a Wall Rack, Wall Cabinet or Zone Enclosure
May 13, 2014
When you need to install rack-mount equipment on the wall, in the floor or in the ceiling, which enclosure do you choose - a wall rack, wall cabinet or zone enclosure?
To get the answer, follow these five simple steps:
- First, you must compare equipment specifications with rack specifications. In other words, see if the width, height, depth and weight of each piece of equipment will fit with the rack’s dimensions.
- Find out whether the rack/cabinet/enclosure will fit in the location that it is intended to be. (Pro tip: Remember to consider both open and closed positions, projection away from the wall, and the height or depth of enclosures in drop ceilings and raised access floors.)
- Determine how much rack mount unit space you will need for the equipment, allowing additional space for horizontal cable managers and future growth.
- Knowing equipment depth is important. This way, you know how much space to allow behind equipment for cables.
- Weigh all your equipment, so you don’t exceed the load limit of a wall rack, wall cabinet or zone enclosure.
Additionally, Chatsworth Products offers these handy tools: